[Rhodes22-list] Traditional Mast Backstay problem

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Tue Jul 23 16:36:03 EDT 2024

If you want to set your boat up to go fast and have good lee helm/weather helm balance; then, there is only one correct setting for the forestay length.  This length sets the static mast rake angle.  On my boat, the optimum static mast rake angle is ~2 degrees aft of straight up and down.  If the mast is raked forward from this position; then, you will experience lee helm and raked aft from this position causes weather helm.  (At least with full mainsail and 150% genoa) Also, if wind conditions change; then, it is useful to be able to quickly and reproducibly change the backstay tension to be able to achieve optimal sail shape.  My backstay adjuster is one of my primary sail shaping tools.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium
1978. Sanford, MI

Sent from my iPhone