[Rhodes22-list] Bimini top for Rhodes

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Wed Mar 20 11:43:52 EDT 2024

Hi Tom,

When I built my bimini top, I started with the following assumptions:

  1.
Standing headroom under the bimini top when it is erected
  2.
Covers the full width of the cockpit
  3.
Can sail with the bimini top up, at least in light air
     *
Therefore, minimal interference with sail trimming controls, primarily genoa sheets & mainsheet

Assuming you are going to use a ready made kit from a vender like Taylor Made Products, you would want a width of 91"-96", 42" height,  6' long, 3-bow, (West Marine M/N: 598160S, TAYLR#: 62060, Cost: $599.99 + S&H).  I choose white for my bimini canvas color because darker colors will be significantly warmer in the sun vs. light colors.  I choose Pacific Blue for the color of the bimini boot to match the color of other canvas I already had on the boat.  In addition, you will need to order two Taylor Made SS Horizontal Deck Hinges (M/N: 592677, TAYLR#: 11734, Cost: $18.49 + S&H Each) and four eye straps for anchoring the corners of the bimini.

6 feet of length is about the maximum for your bimini without interfering with the backstays, traveller, and mainsheet.  Assuming you mount the deck hinges on the gunnel, 42" of height will give you standing headroom under the bimini.  The top of my bimini just clears the bottom of my mainsail boom when the boom is in the upper position.  Remember, S/V Dynamic Equilibrium has a standard mainsail, so I don't know about boom clearance with an IMF mainsail.  The attached photo shows the erected bimini:

[cid:7bbfaeda-63a3-48e5-ae31-3f3d4d970794]

The fore/aft location f the bimini deck hinges is critical.  Too far aft and the bimini will interfere with the backstays, traveller, and main sheet.  Too far forward and the bimini will interfere with access to the bow and getting on/off the boat.  Note that the front of the erected bimini extends forward almost to the companionway.  In fact, I can raise the pop top W/O interfering with the bimini.  You don't want the bimini to extend any further forward or you will make access to the bow and getting on/off the boat from the side decks unnecessarily difficult.  You can see in the picture; that, my bimini is not too bad in these respects.

The bimini top adds a lot of "sail area" aft of the center of effort.  It's a real drag parachute on any point of sail forward of the beam; both slowing the boat down, increasing angle of heel, and increasing weather helm.  On points of sail aft of the beam, the bimini increases lee helm.  My RayMarine autopilot has a difficult time steering with the bimini up on a broad reach or dead down wind.  Even a human helmsman needs to pay attention lest the bimini top cause the boat to spin out and broach.  The downwind sail plan is much more balanced if you strike the mainsail and just put out lots of genoa &/or a cruising spinnaker.

The bimini top is not a good solution for keeping you out of foul weather when sailing.  In heavy air, I need to be able to lower the boom and then there isn't enough vertical clearance under the boom.  So, we're talking about an accessory that can only be used when the conditions permit the boom to be in the upper position.  However, in light air, on a hot sunny day, at anchor, or at the dock; the bimini top is WONDERFUL!  It makes the boat seem much more civilized to be able to get out of the sun or the rain and sit in the cockpit with a drink in your hand.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium
1978  Sanford, MI