[Rhodes22-list] Electric Motors

Larry Gioia lgioia at yahoo.com
Fri May 3 10:07:06 EDT 2024

I’ve had the Spirit 1.0 Plus for 2 seasons now, works perfectly for both of my Rhodes, I take it in the car with me in a duffel bag to Lake George NY in the summer and back to Tampa in the winter. Battery separates - the battery & the motor are each 20-22 lbs or so, so much easier as my years advance. I need it to get out of the bay and back to the dock, and occasionally to come back 3 miles or so if the wind dies or has died down & it’s almost dinnertime. Rarely gets below 75% charge.

So easy to use at a moment’s notice, just twist the throttle, like when needing to go directly upwind between 2 points entering a bay, or on the leeward side of a point or island when guests want to get a look at houses.

I keep an extra battery on board so my wife won’t be nervous, but never need it. I use it on rowboats in both places too. Also keeps me from having to winterize and maintain 2 outboards.  I’m sure it’s not suitable for ocean use and many-day excursions, but it’s fine for what I do.

Larry
—
R22 Language of Love 2014
Lake George, NY