[Rhodes22-list] Centerboard control line size/leak

BARRY RUEHLEN ruehbl at msn.com
Sun May 19 06:06:57 EDT 2024

Peter,
We have had our cap off a few times during the remake of our Rhodes. I do not recommend the use of any type of sealant. You should have a neoprene gasket in place between the cap and trunk. Make sure it doesn't have any tears or is cracking. I think ours was around 3/16" thick. You might rub it down with silicone grease to help keep it supple. Any adhesive will make it an absolute bear to remove again. Our cap was bolted together with something like 50 bolts. I have heard that some were screwed. If that is the case, take particular notice when removing the screws that they all feel tight and have not striped. If possible, I would personally drill out for Stainless bolts. They are a pain, but you know they are tight. Good luck. Leaks are maddening, and the trunk is not fun to remove.
Best,
Barry
SV/ Perserverance '87